a day in the life

I wanted to do one of these for myself to remember what a typical summer day was like before my kids went back to school in the great year of our Lord 2019... this was the final Friday before school started...

7:30 a.m.Dom came padding in to my room around 7 because he wanted cuddles. He asked all about my night before (I had gone out for dinner and drinks with some other moms) and what I had to eat and if it was any good. He can be so sweet when it’s just him. Eventually I make the bed and we go downstairs and Matt is working on the pool which is his favorite morning activity. I fold the laundry and pool towels and sheets leftover from the day before while my coffee cools a bit. Dom has a pancake and I refilled all the soap dispensers and watered my plants before heading down to the treadmill for my run. I’m watching Poldark right now and I think I’m a fan!

8:30 a.m.
I finish my run and get Letty and David their breakfast. He isn’t up yet so I have to wake him as I’m putting yesterday’s laundry away and getting tomorrow’s clothes out. He is most against the awakening. He makes his bed and goes down to eat his cereal while I rinse off quick in the shower. After I no longer stink I do the kid’s hair and they brush their teeth and we go to the gym. 

9:30 a.m.
I check the kids into Child Watch and then head over to BodyPump. Still going strong with my love for this class! It’s an hour long so yeah. I pick things up and put things down. And my sister is there right beside me. 

10:30 a.m.
The kids are picked up and they always either want to sprint around the indoor track for a lap or take a few turns climbing the rope. Today was rope. Dom is actually getting pretty good! We get home and I get the kids an early lunch because I have some things I want them to do this afternoon.  Then I hop in my second shower of the day. 

11:30 a.m.
I loaded the kids back up into the van and headed down to the mall so Letty could spend her final birthday card at Justice.... I’ve never been but wow. She was fangirling all over the place. I also swung by H&M and got them all a new look for the first day of school. $12.99 for three things is not bad if you ask me. Yes Matt, they do need a new shirt/dress for the first day of school. It’s just how the world works. 

12:30 p.m.
After the boys put up with all the pink and glitter and all the dress shopping I told them they could get pretzels. And a pretzel dog for Letty of course. Then we rode up and down the escalator because my children apparently don’t get out enough.

1:30 p.m.
I know it’s raining but I had asked the kids earlier in the week what they wanted to do one more time this summer and they said a new park and a new ice cream place. So I took them to a new to us park. It was just misting after all. Not too bad right?

2:30 p.m.
Even if it wasn’t the hottest of days I still took the kids to a new to us ice cream place, Isabella’s in Lititz. I just love me all things Lititz. Why go elsewhere? The kids ate their ice cream and then we headed home to daddy, who claims to have missed us. 

3:30 p.m.
The kids are terrorizing each other upstairs in their bedrooms so I take a moment to start a new book. I requested a bunch of books from my library and you know how that goes sometimes it takes weeks to get one... and other times they all come at once... well I had four. At once. So I have been a busy reading machine! I drive Letty up the street for a sleepover around four. She’s been so excited for this all day. Maybe some swimming and some girlie movies but to be sure lots of squeals and giggles. They are so brave, those parents!

4:30 p.m.
Our mail came and with it brought the bigger kid’s headphones for their iPads at school. So I label them and put them in their already labeled and packed backpacks. I am nothing if not an early packer. Dom’s is even ready even though he still has over a week left. Rip that bandaid off right at once.... The boys are playing and Matt is wrapping up work and I’m reading reading reading. 

5:30 p.m.
The boys are dumping legos in the basement and Matt is making drinks and dinner and I’m reading (told you! I have a deadline!). The house is oddly quiet when my eldest isn’t around. Matt made a stir fry for him and I and the boys had grilled cheese and some white rice. Hashtag healthy. After dinner wraps up I start a load of laundry and the boys clean up the basement. It’s also time for their nightly chores. Aka prepping the beds and blinds, plugging in iPads, toothpaste on toothbrushes and the like.  We finally decided upon a movie to watch which took more negotiating than I’d care to admit.

6:30 p.m.
This is a very unusual Friday night for us. We are normally entertaining or outside swimming or both but with Letty being at that sleepover and with the weather being lousy a night indoors is up on deck. We decided on Star Trek for our “boy” movie. I love when they start to put it together that these people are actors and not really Captain George Kirk. Like wait, isn’t that Thor? Or isn’t she the green girl from Guardians of the Galaxy??? 

7:30 p.m.
The boys get snacks, popcorn and veggie straws, I put the wash into the dryer, and then it’s back to the movie.... like I said, highly unusual Friday night. This is more typical of say, a Monday night. David is practicing his live long and prosper hand signal. Some kid taught it to him on the bus years ago and he’s been perfecting it ever since. I have the song Sabotage stuck in my head and decide we should listen to more Beastie Boys... 

8:30 p.m.
I texted the mom at the house where Letty is and got an update. They have done all the things in all the land and are going to have a campfire up next. I can’t imagine the volume level there. Letty has two volumes, asleep or screaming. May the force be with Marci. The movie. Is. Still.  Going. Matt and I decide that you know what? We are adults and if we want to go to bed the same time as our boys so be it! So we tuck them in with lots of cuddles and kisses and promises to finish the movie another night. Commercials are lame. 

9:30 p.m.Boys are asleep and we are in bed ourselves. Not asleep but playing on our phones and flipping through Netflix.  Sipping on a little bit of wine before falling asleep ourselves (this also never happens. We are usually up till at least 10:30).... for we know what comes in a few days. Dun dun dun. School. 
So while this day wasn’t a typical summer day for us in a few ways (a day without swimming in the pool rarely happens) it is still a day in the life of us. And I wish I was back there right now.